The West African Research Center (WARC) is one of West Africa’s largest research centers and the overseas headquarters for the West African Research Association (WARA). WARC promotes academic and cultural exchange between American and West African researchers, students and artists and supports research on the region of West Africa. WARC specifically aims to:
- Encourage collaborative research between American and West African researchers, universities, and relevant institutions through a program of research fellowships and the organization of colloquia, seminars, and workshops on topics of both general and scholarly interest.
- Make available to West African and visiting researchers a research library, computer facilities, and a computer network capable of sustaining significant research efforts by providing up-to-date data and information on West Africa and the Diaspora.
- Provide a forum in which both local and foreign researchers may conduct and share their work, and create a transnational community of scholars and researchers.
- Promote interdisciplinary approaches and considerations of gender in the study of West Africa and the African Diaspora.
- Disseminate knowledge through public lectures and other gatherings open to the larger public.
- Gather, catalogue, and disseminate the results of research on West Africa.